Happy Friday, my friends! Per usual, I am linking up with the lovely ladies of DC: Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed up for What?, and Mar at Mar on the Run, as I do every Friday. This week's theme is "Halloween", so I'll just talk a bit about what I like (or dislike) about the holiday along with this time of year in general...
1. Halloween/costume races. I ran the Monster Dash 5K last Saturday. I loved seeing all of the costumes! Plus, at the aid stations there was trick-or-treating aka we got some candy :)
2. Fall weather. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my love of fall weather before, but Halloween usually means fall weather is in full swing. Some years, it even means winter is close (or has already shown itself). Luckily, fall has been around for most of October. There have been a few warmer days, even getting into the 70s and 80s, but October weather this year in Chicago has been near perfect, in my opinion.
3. Darker days. Daylight Savings ends on Sunday, which means it will be a little lighter out earlier in the day than it currently is, but night time will fall on us even earlier. I have a hard time with leaving work and it being dark out. With the cooler temps and dark night hours, I'll be spending more time at the gym during the week and trying to get my long runs in on the weekend outside, even if it's cold.
4. Candy. I know this shouldn't be in my top 5, but I love candy, especially the fruity, chewy kind (Starburst, Twizzlers, Swedish Fish). I'm always happy when we have leftovers after trick-or-treating ends. I like that it's the small pieces, so it's easier to take one to work as a snack and eat them in moderation.
5. Trick-or-treaters. I love getting home in time to see the last of the trick-or-treaters. Seeing the adorable costumes the kids in the neighborhood are wearing is so fun. I especially love it when they're extra creative. When our first dog was a puppy, she was able to fit into a large dog sized costume that was a monkey. She looked a bit more like a bear unless the banana was nearby, but it was so adorable. Now, her and her sister are too big for even the largest dog sized costumes. I always think about trying to make something for them, or just get the kind that could strap around their bellies, but I forget about it until it's too late. Maybe an adult sized costume would work ;)
What do you enjoy about Halloween, or this time of year?
Have a great weekend, everyone!